From: Ray Melton [mailto:rfmelton@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2017 1:17 PM
To: John Grady; mjraguse@xxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 57-59 300 radio speaker

When I encountered a rotted-out 4-ohm speaker in the dash of my 300C convertible, I initially went to the stereo store and said I wanted a new speaker, perhaps even better than original.  The manager looked at the wiring diagram for the original Electro-Touch radio and found that it only put out 6 watts maximum power!  He pointed out that the heavier magnets in the modern (usually 8-ohm) speakers were designed to work with outputs of typically over 20 watts per channel from modern radio amplifiers and would hardly  be moved at all by the measly 6-watt output from the nearly 60-year-old radio, resulting in a barely audible output.

I spoke to Jeff Carter of JC Auto Restorations who was restoring the radio and Hi-Way Hi-Fi record player at the time, and he offered to have the old frayed paper speaker cone itself rebuilt using modern  plastic material that would actually produce superior sound across the usual audio spectrum than the original, especially higher frequencies.  I don't recall the exact cost, but it was around the same price I was going to pay for a pair of new modern speakers, probably about $75.  Talk to Jeff for exact pricing.  Bottom line is the old components now work together just like new, and certainly sound "period-correct".  No messing with mis-matched bolt holes, either.  Another takeaway:  Newer and "more powerful" does not always mean "better", when working with older-generation components!

Ray Melton  Las Cruces, NM  1957 Chrysler 300C convertible  white/Gauguin  S/N 3N572517