From: 'Rich Barber' c300@xxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: kmaniak <kmaniak@xxxxxxx>; rpjasin <rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx>; 300country <300country@xxxxxxx>; dave.dumais <dave.dumais@xxxxxxxxx>; Chrysler300 <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; jholst <jholst@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, Mar 16, 2017 3:29 am
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] 1964 300K

Chris:

Good summary and all makes sense—except that part about the air cleaner “storing” residual gases from the crankcase after shutdown.  I’m sure that was the state’s “logic” but the improvement over an open PCV system seems miniscule.  At some point, the absurdity of an activated charcoal canister to capture these gases became mandatory.  It probably works, but is it worth it?  I hate the concept of “If it can be done, it must be done.”

I read you that our ’64 ram-engined 300K will not need to be retrofitted with a CA closed PCV system.  Apparently, the law has expired.  Hard to believe.  Don’t tell anyone.

Still wondering if there is anything special inside a CA air cleaner to filter the air going out the nipple to the rocker-arm cover during normal operation—or to route the pickup point for the air to a point inside the filter ring.  Otherwise, dusty air will be bringing particulate matter to be deposited in the rocker-arm cover—to be absorbed by lube oil.  I’m pretty sure I have seen little air-filter media pads mounted inside the air cleaner to filter the PCV air.  I also recall that PCV valves are calibrated to allow different air flows to different engines.

In the cold country, the PCV air will remain cold as it enters the air cleaner or vented oil fill cap.  The cold air (or almost any combustion air) will contain moisture which will be converted to steam and be sucked out when the engine warms up.

Rich