From: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of leslie miklas ldmiklas@xxxxxxxxxxx [Chrysler300] <Chrysler300-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 3:22 PM
To: Jamie Hyde; chrysler300
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Re: Trunion tailshaft in 300L

Hi Jamie

You are right, the L had the smaller 23 spline input shaft.

(If the 4-speed 300L had been  built in 1966, it would  have had the 18 spline tranny and maybe  a Dana 60 Rear axle....lets build one !!!!)

FYI - There were three different outer diameter front bearing retainers used on the 23 spline unit.

Always check to see that the correct diameter retainer is used with the respective bellhousing as that is a support mechanism.

Bearing retainers can be interchanged between 23 spline units, so no problem. My original L trans  had the 4.8" bearing retainer.  The 1969 18 spline transmission that I swapped in also has the 4.8" retainer (only one size retainer on all 18 spline units), however it has a larger internal diameter so a larger release bearing was required as well as a different clutch disc to accommodate the spline change.

Also, Chrysler- in their infinite wisdom- made adapter rings that would size-up a smaller bearing retainer to a larger opening bell housing. They probably   did that to keep the assembly line moving  in case of a shortage of one size bells.

Re: The shifter mechanism - I have worked on 3 different 4-speed Ls and each one had a HURST COMPETION-PLUS

shifter mechanism factory installed. This was a high end version of the basic Hurst shifter. One difference is the inclusion of shifter arm "Stop-bolts" so the user could dial-out extra travel during those adrenaline-fueled high speed gear changes. (In theory) Plus, the shifter rod thicknesses were a little "beefier" which required larger diameter holes in the shifter arms. Also, the c-body shifter  mounts to the transmission at a slightly different angle to accommodate the interior spacing, but this is accomplished with the aluminum mounting plate  so I don't see that as a difference that would require a different part #.

I've worked on many, many 68-70- Mopar 4-speed cars when they were relatively new and never saw one with a Competion-Plus Unit factory installed.*** (A Competition-Plus  was always a typical "day-two"  upgrade - price back then was a whopping $68.00 and included new rods)

I also had an original 4-Speed 68 Sport Fury C-Body (long gone victim of Pennsylvania rust). I kept the driveline and it was a factory basic shifter.

My point ?  - I think the 300Ls were the only Chrysler cars to come factory equipped with the Competion -Plus shifters except for the "specialty cars" like the AARs , TAs, the competion cars  and probably the 1965 426W Sport Furys.

Sorry to rattle on !

Jeff

***Except for "special production" 1970 AAR Cudas (and probably TA Challengers)