RE: [Chrysler300] Car won't start

I think the next thing to do would be to check the starter relay.  Turning the key to the start position should send 12 Volts to the “S” terminal on the starter relay.  With the transmission in neutral, the “GRD” terminal should have a good ground.  With both of these terminals properly energized, the “SOL” terminal should have 12 Volts on it.

If all this is working, the problem is at the starter which has a built in solenoid.  Could be a loose connection at the small terminal with the wire from the starter relay (taped to the large cable from the “B” terminal on the relay).  Could always be a broken wire somewhere, but unlikely.  The wiring demands that there be an ear on the positive cable from the battery to the starter and that this “ear” be connected to the big lug on the starter terminal.  The ground cable must also be securely fastened to the block as well as the battery.

The connection from the starter switch to the starter relay passes through the bulkhead connector and this is another place for a bad connection.  The wire to the starter solenoid is the yellow one-second down at the far driver’s side.  You might pull that one and check it for corrosion or loose fit.   You can check out the connections at the relay by jumpering a connection from the plus terminal of the battery to the “S” terminal and/or jumpering a connection from the negative terminal to the “GRD” terminal.  This will further check out the starter switch and neutral safety switch.

The starter in our ‘64K failed—probably within the built-in solenoid.  At first it took numerous “bounces” of the key to get it to engage, then it quit altogether.  As I recall there is a difference between starters for stick-shift cars and Torky’s.

Best wishes and let us know what you find.

C300K’ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA