From: "Richard Osborne reomotorsports1@xxxxxx [Chrysler300]" <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jean-Yves <jymopar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Freeze plug for F
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 10:12:26 -0400

I see I am late to this thread, but I have a lot of experience with this issue and my G. These things happened approximately 9 years ago.

I popped a head plug during initial engine break-in. I then popped a block plug driving back from the Mopar Nationals. Finally, during a lunch break, while adjusting the carbs, another head plug popped out while simply idling. These had ALL been installed by the machine shop who had assembled the short block and heads.

I found that I could replace all of these without removing engine. I used a slide hammer to remove all of the remaining plugs. I then used steel replacement plugs. I searched and even purchased metric sized plugs, just to ensure a snug fit prior to the whacking. I made sure the mating surface in the block was clean of antifreeze and debris. I then coated the edge of each plug with JB Weld. For the install,  I used an extra long 1/2” drive socket extension, placing the female end on the plug. Once I felt it was positioned correctly, I would give each plug a SINGLE whack. I feel that hitting it more than once is counter productive as it likely will bounce back out, my opinion, not sure if factual, but I didn’t want to do it again.

They have now been in the car for approximately 9 or 10 years with no other issues, including driving across the country and back and through the desert in 115F heat.

My 2 cents. I also carry rubber expansion plugs n the glove box, just in case….

Richard Osborne