Re: [Chrysler300] 300H valve adjustment

Great write up John;
However, there is a very real difference on how things work with tighter or looser clearances.
If you are racing and want the most power, you want tighter. this allows for the biggest charge of fuel and the best scavenging of exhaust.
Of course, this is in an engine you will be tearing down more frequently.
If you never want to pull the heads again, looser is right, won't make a whole lot of  difference on power, but, as you mentioned, will hold up longer.

As the cam lobe comes around, the tappet is resting on the round part and as the ramp cones in contact with it, it starts to rise up.
This is where the clearances come in. the tighter they are, the sooner the valve starts to open.
The intake valve then stays open until the down side of the ramp comes in play, thus having the longest open time with more fuel being drawn in.
The same thing happens on the exhaust valve with the larger clearance set for the higher heat on it. But still, having the longest open time for scavenging.

Set looser, they, in both cases, have less time open and less power due to slightly less fuel to burn, and a little less open time to exhaust spent fuel.

​ay in Mena with 4.5" of rain last night but no Tornadoes yet.​ Lots of destruction 150 miles east tho...