Re: [Chrysler300] VIN # Question

Rich,

The plants build using a sequence numbers.  The VIN's are tied to that sequence, which I believe is what part of the SO number indicates.  But, remember this is not a fixed system.  SO has 4 digits of a date when car is scheduled to be built, 4 of sequence number, but doesn't always mean it was built on that day.  Today, the system is full of changes, I can only imagine what it was like 50 years ago.

Things happen, supplier has an issue providing parts for a certain option, cars originally scheduled one day get delayed, sometimes for weeks, cars get crunched in shipping yard that are hot, so VIN's can get reassigned to bodies already in system - hence discrepancies with original cars that may have different colord/options than what is shown on body tag.

I am working on the new Chrysler 200 now, first car was on line Monday, comes off line today.  So what is its build date?  We don't use body tags anymore (last used around '95-96 or so I think) all the info is on the electronic "build sheet" which lists all part numbers and sales codes.

FYI, sample from Chry 200 builds, showing sequence and out of sequence VIN's.  Anyway, probably too much info on this, just sharing some detail.
Sequence Number

VIN

2719590

FN505203