From: Rich
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2014 1:55 AM
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] VIN # Question

John:

That's really interesting.  Do you suppose this has been S.O.P. back through 1955 at least?  The '55-'58 parts catalog indicates running year changes take place after a certain VIN-suggesting the cars were assembled sequentially by VIN.

Anyone:

Can you provide clear information on what the numbers under the letters "SO" and "NUMBER" on a '64 data plate mean?  I'm sure the first four digits are a date, but what date?  Scheduled build date for the car?  Actual build date?  Scheduled/actual shipping date?  Sequence Order?  Other?

The other four-digits under "NUMBER" still baffle me.  I've heard the first digit is a factory and/or assembly line number and the next three digits are the sequence number of the car on the "SO" date.  On the 1964 data plate, these numbers appear on both the second and sixth lines.

Temps in the 80's here today-too early.  Gonna be a long, hot & dry spring and summer.

C300K'ly, (sans hyphens & as stamped on the '64 300K ram engine blocks-less the "'ly")

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1964 Chrysler 300K Convertible (VIN:  8443 149223; "SO NUMBER":  1118 1182)