RE: [Chrysler300] Another Wheel Cover Thought

RE: [Chrysler300] Another Wheel Cover Thought

The 64 cover is extremely light weight and flimsy.  We have a number that have started to bend in the notched areas on the sides of them.

We also have a 64 imperial which was picked up as for resale  a few years back but  has become a favorite driver.  Now it’s wheel covers are really sturdy and heavy.  (15 pounds??) They fasten on with a similar clip to that used on the Motor Wheel covers and you would think they are invincible.  This summer while driving home after the Lincoln highway celebration we decided to pass a mid 20’s touring which was going a bit slower than I felt like doing and had to cross a rumble strip so when I just got totally into the other lane the front passenger cover let go –I was afraid it might hit the other car and total it but all was well and they had even stopped and retrieved the cover for us and had it waiting when we got back.  Sure glad it didn’t turn ugly for us.

The more I think of it I tend to attribute it to the radials which we put on the car.  The wheel cover is now on the shelf and another is on the car just in case.  They are three piece bolted construction so I used the center two cast pieces with a straighter and hopefully stronger base unit.

I think there were two extremes in wheel covers in 64!