[Chrysler300] Engine flush

Hello Group -

When replacing a leaking original freeze plug on my 1957 300C, I discovered
a considerable amount of rusty crud packed up on the backside of the old
plug.  Although I used a bent wire to pull out several more tablespoons of
"mud", I'm certain that same situation exists throughout the rest of the
engine.  The engine is not yet running, so I can't use the typical
radiator/block cleaners that rely on the engine to pump the cleaner solution
through all the internal passages.  Not only that, but I have just
reinstalled the newly refurbished radiator, and wouldn't want to flow
debris-laden fluid through it, anyway.  I would also want to ensure that the
heater valve is closed so debris is not introduced into the heat exchanger
core.

So, I'm thinking of introducing an appropriate fluid into the block/heads
while isolating the radiator (remove hose and plug that opening) and heater.
I will be replacing the thermostat, so I could introduce a hose (maybe even
my pressure washer!) at that point, add a cleaner and let it sit for several
days, if necessary, then drain out whatever crud I can through the lower
radiator hose opening.  I could repeat that process several times until the
flush fluid becomes sufficiently clear.   I could also take out the neat
removable/reusable stainless freeze plug I just put in and let the dirty
fluid drain from there, too; however, I know that doesn't do anything for
the opposite side of the engine where I just cannot get to a freeze plug at
all.

Do any of you have some suggestions for how best to clean the coolant
passages in my non-running engine?  Technique?  Best chemicals?
Precautions?  Pitfalls?

Thanks for your help.

Ray Melton

Las Cruces, NM

1957 Chrysler 300C convertible  white/Gauguin

S/N 3N572517

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: