Re: [Chrysler300] Dot 3 / Dot 5

I second Bob's and Marshall's comments.  I have had DOT 5 brake fluid in all
my collector cars for over 30 years now and have never had a brake issue
come up.  I bleed the brakes every 10 years or so, but yet to have any water
come out or any need to replace anything.  The only issue I had was on my
300C where the stop light switch would fail prematurely with the DOT 5
fluid, but I got around that with a later style mechanical switch.  Before
that, even with the Southern California climate, I always had trouble with
leaking wheel cylinders and master cylinder problems after using the
conventional fluid due to rust/moisture, probably because I missed a
scheduled bleed date for the reasons Bob points out.  I will never use the
conventional fluid again.  The money for DOT is well worth it in terms of
not having to bleed the brakes so often or to use that miserable brake
puller for the rear drums.
And I would appreciate keeping political remarks to yourself, Herb.  We have
had enough of that over the years.  Lets leave it there.
Steve Albu

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Bob Jasinski <rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Herb,
>
> We've been down this road before, but for the sake of balance I would like
> to respond to the points you've made based on my experience:
>
> <Again if you do proper maintenance you WILL NOT have a problem!!>
>
> In a perfect world that all I had to do was schedule brake bleeding
> sessions
> every two years, that would be the case, but that is not reality in my
> life.
> I own a number of cars, all requiring maintenance of some type at any one
> point in time. Bleeding brakes is NOT a simple one man job, it is a lot of
> work, even with a lift as I have. The longer I can do without the need, the
> better. Some years I only put 800 to 1000 miles on my 300G. That would
> require brake bleeding as often as an oil change. Also, more frequent brake
> fluid changes means more possibility of SPILLING DOT3/4 brake fluid on
> painted surfaces, causing damage.
>
> <By the way the same moisture that is in DOT 3-4 is in DOT 5 it just sinks
> to the lowest point and sits there as opposed to DOT 3-4 that holds it in
> suspension and is gone when you bleed your brakes. Not sitting at the low
> spots unable to be bleed out like as with DOT 5>
>
> Sorry, but this is not true. DOT 5 does NOT absorb the same amount of
> moisture in the system as does DOT3/4, as they are hygroscopic (attract
> moisture) DOT 5 is not hygroscopic. Over many years, moisture can
> accumulate in a DOT 5 system, but it is at a much slower rate. It does form
> in the lowest point, but that is flushed when the brakes are bled, just as
> it would with DOT 3/4. The difference though, is that you can wait MUCH
> longer to bleed the brakes. I do mine about every 8 years.
>
> <Is there anything wrong with DOT 5, NO, other than the silicone
> impregnates
> all
> rubber parts and creates a mess if you want to switch back>
>
> I have not seen any evidence of permanent contamination of brake parts
> caused by silicon fluid.
>
> < Today's DOT 4 has just short of the same boiling quality's as DOT 5>
>
> True, but that is when it is fresh. The boiling point begins to drop once
> it is installed due to the hygroscopic nature of DOT 3/4. The silicon fluid
> boiling point remains much more constant through its life.
>
> A good alternative to silicon fluid is Castrol DOT 4 LMA (low moisture
> activity) fluid. It has a high boiling point, BUT it still melts paint. In
> collector cars like ours, that is a MAJOR drawback.
>
> Bob J

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: