RE: [Chrysler300] Dot 3 / Dot 5

Herb,

We've been down this road before, but for the sake of balance I would like
to respond to the points you've made based on my experience:

<Again if you do proper maintenance you WILL NOT have a problem!!>

In a perfect world that all I had to do was schedule brake bleeding sessions
every two years, that would be the case, but that is not reality in my life.
I own a number of cars, all requiring maintenance of some type at any one
point in time.  Bleeding brakes is NOT a simple one man job, it is a lot of
work, even with a lift as I have. The longer I can do without the need, the
better.  Some years I only put 800 to 1000 miles on my 300G.  That would
require brake bleeding as often as an oil change.  Also, more frequent brake
fluid changes means more possibility of SPILLING DOT3/4 brake fluid on
painted surfaces, causing damage.

<By the way the same moisture that is in DOT 3-4 is in DOT 5 it just sinks
to the lowest point and sits there as opposed to DOT 3-4 that holds it in
suspension and is gone when you bleed your brakes. Not sitting at the low
spots unable to be bleed out like as with DOT 5>

Sorry, but this is not true.  DOT 5 does NOT absorb the same amount of
moisture in the system as does DOT3/4, as they are hygroscopic (attract
moisture) DOT 5 is not hygroscopic.  Over many years, moisture can
accumulate in a DOT 5 system, but it is at a much slower rate.  It does form
in the lowest point, but that is flushed when the brakes are bled, just as
it would with DOT 3/4.  The difference though, is that you can wait MUCH
longer to bleed the brakes.  I do mine about every 8 years.

<Is there anything wrong with DOT 5, NO, other than the silicone impregnates
all
rubber parts and creates a mess if you want to switch back>

I have not seen any evidence of permanent contamination of brake parts
caused by silicon fluid.

< Today's DOT 4 has just short of the same boiling quality's as DOT 5>

True, but that is when it is fresh.  The boiling point begins to drop once
it is installed due to the hygroscopic nature of DOT 3/4.  The silicon fluid
boiling point remains much more constant through its life.

A good alternative to silicon fluid is Castrol DOT 4 LMA (low moisture
activity) fluid.  It has a high boiling point, BUT it still melts paint. In
collector cars like ours, that is a MAJOR drawback.

Bob J