Re: [Chrysler300] Put on your paint and powder, you shout loud, I'll sho

Re: [Chrysler300] Put on your paint and powder, you shout loud, I'll shout lo...

All - My take on clear coat paint is it is still crap - May be OK for
the Concours circuit or the quick auction sale. But for the average
collector who does his own car or drives his car frequently to car
events/tours - the old single stage enamels are the easiest to touch up
or do spot repairs.   Clear coat may be easy for a pro paint shop to
repair (usually they have to do the whole panel/side to repair a small
spot) but they charge an arm and a leg.  I, a do-it -myself restorer,
have had terrible results with touch repair on my late model-every day
car drivers.   I have yet  had any newer, clear coat cars, last more
then 5-7 years before the clear coat goes to hell -doesn't happen to
cars, I have had, with 50 year old paint.

Ken Wilson
62 H

mwl1967@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi Larry,
>
>    Don't fear the waterborne paint. I switched my shop  over a few months
>ago in the anticipation that the lunacy that begins in Ca.  soon moves east
>and with Az on your boarder it was only a matter of time before  it became
>mandated by law. At any rate, the OEM's have been using it for years  and it
>isn't new technology. Only the base is latex, the clear is the same  solvent
>clear. The question becomes whether or not you can get the color  you want.
>
>    I also don't know why some folks have against  clearcoat. There's
>nothing that says you've got to lay it on a mile thick and  sand and polish all
>the texture, or peel, out of it. Find a clean painter who  doesn't have to
>sand out dust, runs etc and you'll likely not know if it's a  single stage or
>base/clear finish. ( base/clear ) finish is much easier to  repair when it
>gets damaged too.
>
>    Why do you need two gallons? Are you planning on  inside panels, trunk,
>all jambs and undercarriage? At any rate if you really  want solvent paint
>all you've got to do is come across the border and buy  it.  If you get me a
>color code I'll let you know which variants are  available in PPG
>
>Mike Laiserin
>

>In a message dated 11/2/2009 5:31:04 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
>JettLarry@xxxxxxx writes:
>

>Back to the 1966 300 M. It has become law in this poorly governed state
>that ALL auto paint will be water based this month. I want to paint the
>1966 in the correct Spanish Red it was born it and use some non-clear
>coated
>paint. I have found a painter that will put it on if I can provide  2
>gallons of it. Who can point me in the direction of a supplier of REAL
>paint?
>Hopeful in a hopeless state. L Jett
>
>[Non-text portions of  this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)