Re: [Chrysler300] 300D Vibration

  Vibration at the speed you specified is normally related to tire balance. Could be your tires need proper balance. Could be you have one or more bent wheels. Could be the tire shop you use rattled them on unmercifully with an air wrench and they are on crooked.

  Some brands of tire will respond best as can be only to road force variation machines. Some brands will not. Therefore, the whole road force balance routine experience can well be a waste of time and money.  Reports I have seen multiple times report Michelin brand tires are very consistent in turning in low numbers on the machine which is a very good thing.

  In the day when the 300s were built a lot of tires were put into service with static balancing only. Those tires were bias belted and I remember one set of tires on our 1958 New Yorker that shook the car so bad that the windshield was working violently in the gasket and the front fenders I was sure were leaving the car..

  The first rotational balance machines I remember balanced the tires on the car in two planes; a two plane rotational balance. This of course balanced everything that turned with the wheel which is not a bad way to go. Top off a proper off the car balance with on the car balancing and this is supposed to produce one sweet deal.

  There is a post here from an individual that has actually run the Hunter machine. Basically, my thinking is that if you really need the Hunter machine, you are dealing with junk tires. Not that it won't make any tire/wheel combination better. It will not fix all.

  All I know about Coker tires comes from this group. From this group, the feedback would lead me to install Cokers only on a car that will not see highway service.  A set of Cokers mounted for show and a set of Michelins mounted for the road has been sugested by others on the list and would be the safest plan I think.

  We are starting to have availability problems in our business sourcing parts for late model cars. This is not a surprise.Things for old cars like tires of obsolete sizes and steering parts and brake parts and electrical parts that still come up as in stock may very well disappear..

  Also asked, alignment will not cause vibration. Car will not drive 'right' or will have strange tire wear if something is not correct with the alignment.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional