Re: [Chrysler300] BlueStreaking

Warren Anderson wrote:

> Edward,
>
> You say that back in the day there was no extra charge for mounting
> the run flats of the time. As I understand what is happening now with
> the 'dubs' and run flats on passenger cars is that tire shops that
> handle rthe special 22" wheels and all do charge extra which is
> smart,in my opinion. In our shop we will work with 20 and 22.5" truck
> tires and have mounted run flats for Hummers with all the grease and
> mess with, believe me, "some extra charge".
>
> Warren Anderson
> Sedona,AZ

Not much specialization back then - as pointed out mostly hand tools a
mechanical bead breaker, 2 spoons and a rubber hammer would change
anything to last of 1956 which were 15 inch. When 14's came in, we had a
lot of problem with tighter fitting tires and deeper wheels - the GM 14
inch wheels would just about kill a 10 year old trying to break them the
old way - had to get an adult to break them and even they had problems.
I remember when we got our first Tire Changer - what an improvement - it
would do everything except the VW with the large center hole - and later
the similar Pontiacs.

Also no computers or automated registers - so you tried to keep the
charges simple. Truck tires 17 inch and above - almost always split
rims, big PITA but one price. Car tires one price to repair - no charge
to mount new tires unless you wanted static balance and that was $1.25
including weights. And if you had a problem, you ate it. But everything
was relative - low ball tires typically advertised for $11.95 (6.70-15
or 6.00-16 tube type) sometimes as low as $9.95 but you really did not
want to buy these as they were 3rd or 4th grade - assuming original
equipment was 1st grade.

Probably should have charged more for tube type tires as they were a lot
of hassle and if you did not know what you were doing, you sometimes
ended up with pinched tubes and had to do-over. You mounted bottom bead
then inserted tube. Trick was to put just a little air in tube with
valve removed to unfold and give shape - then use valve tool to hold
stem in place and push tube down and back before mounting second lip of
tire - then inflate and let air out and put valve in and reinflate -
that kept "folds" in tube from becoming a problem. Other problem was
oversized tubes - if you had stretched tube by putting it in larger
tire, it never regained original size and you typically had folds that
would wear thru as tire flexed.

But hat was the good old days - life was simple - and wheels next to
impossible to damage.

best, Ed

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional