Re: [Chrysler300] FREON 12

  With a good bit of profesional experience behind the suggestion, F-12 and the proper lubricant is all you should ever have in an RV-2 Chrysler system. You should, therefore, have an ample supply. Your only problem is dealing with the large container. There is no safe, effective,  way  to repackage that I know of. Your 30 lb cylinders contain exactly what is in a 14 oz can of F-12 and at the same pressure, just over 30 times more.

  Old cylinders do leak at the valve so a weight check would be interesting and definately if the seal is not Dupont original. than what is in the cylinders needs to be checked with a refrigerant identifier which reads out % purity and % air contamination.

  Problem with repackaging is that it would be very easy to contaminate the stuff and extremely hard to not contaminate during any transfer process.

  BTW, from a trusted source with good equipment properly maintained, recycled R-12 is satisfactory. And there are many products, refrigerant 12, R-12, but only Dupont refrigerant 12 is Freon 12. Trademark.

  We have heard that supposedly virgin but actually bogus product is on the market. Marketed product from overseas but, OTOH, I have not heard of any large scale problems with the import products in general. If your labeling is Dupont and legit, you are absolutely good to go.   What we have available now on a wholesale level, and as reliable product, 30 lbs will cost us $620 in the next couple of weeks when we buy. Most probably will not be Freon either.

  We check all unknown to us A/C systems with a refrigerant identifier to make sure that only factory fill spec refrigerant is in the system and no blend junk. This process takes place only after we have checked for the presence of stop leak which renders a system totally non repairable as the stuff destroys service equipment. While legislating the removal of  R-12 from mobile A/C systems was good (???) for the environment, us in the service world have had to spend a lot of dollars on recycling equipment and other tools to protect the car owner and us from  alternative refrigerants. The people that manufacture the R-134A refrigerant are now charging a steeply escalated price for their product which is supply and demand. And, yes, I continue to be an admirer of Ronald Reagen. The more you learn about refrigerants the more appreciation you will have for the F-12 product and what a train wreck the Montreal Protocol put together. JMHO.

  Warren Anderson
  Sedona,AZ.

  My wife's boss who she has worked rot since 1973 passed away 3 years ago this March. His wife currently continues as head of the company and the chemical company he owned still is in business. Last year we cleaned out the storage areas and one of the chemicals to be disposed of was (2) 30lb tanks of DuPont Freon 12. I said Icould probably use it in my 1962 Chrysler 300h's.

  My question is I don't see an expiration date on the tanks or cartons they are in, and is there a expiration on Freon 12. The seals are still on the valves so I know he didn't use any volume out of these tanks. He was a chemist and don't know why he would have these. Could be a hundred reasons as I'm no chemist. This is the type used in our A/C units right?

  Anyhow can someone in the club share their knowledge of Freon 12.

  It's 70+ degrees in sunny Seminole Florida.

  Jerry Lindsay

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: