RE: [Chrysler300] Important re painting any early 300s?!

RE: [Chrysler300] Important re painting any early 300s?!

Ryan's email here hit on the most important 'new technology' thing re repainting classic cars that is something to realise - namely using two pack primers under the top coat.

In the old days, factory primers were usually a red color, because the red involved rust inhibitors/metals, which today are mainly illegal - others can give more detail, my posts are nearly always too long as it is.

But luckily for car restorers, as these old style primers, the 'reds', have been banned more and more, better and better two pack, easy sand high fill primers have become more numerous, and better.  Nowadays if you get your panels repaired/finished bare metal pretty good, you can use less bog/bondo/filler, and instead where needed put on heavy coats of good quality two pack primers you block back.  It does not shrink, plus it stops corrosion way better than any 'one pack' old style grey primer, which many often wet rubbed, unawarely putting water right onto bare steel/bondo underneath, and starting rust that only comes through the paint years later. Today's two packs stop near 100% of all this.

Anyhow enough for now - I forgot to mention my driver '57 TBird is in factory yellow Inca Gold PPG acrylic, it 12 years old, in the sun and chips stones etc too often, and off the gun if put on even half stupid/careful, has a finish/mottle like/same as the original Chrysler 300s enamels - it has not faded one bit.

Sorry to bore the many that already know about two pack primer benefits.

Christopher Australia - panel shop hoping to finish rear/trunk floor of supercharged 300C today so can seal and tar it, so body ready to go back on frame - the rear quarter panel lips still to go though, but at least for it's 52 birthday on the 28th Dec, it will have sound floors and rockers for the first time I tip in maybe 30plus years.

To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: ryan_hillc300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:35:41 -0800Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Paint Type, 300-D, other early 300s?!

Just an added note on durability with paints. As with any paint job, it's the preparation in particular and the quality of the materials that makes the difference. I agree, PPG makes some nice product and I've had good luck with them in both single and dual stage products. There are other manufacturers that also make high quality products of course. For cost purposes, auto manufacturers generally don't use a high grade product or lay on the clear as thick as one would like. This leads to some of the complaints offered against base-clear systems, especially on north american cars. I'm in the single stage (old school) camp when it comes to older cars and restorations but certainly see the benefits to using multi-stage systems on newer vehicles, customs, or hot rods. I would argue that there are both high and low quality products available no matter what system you use and that paying attention to the preparation and looking at how you get the best adhesion between metal and primer and most important, between primer/sealer and paint are where you should focus your attention. Chips occur more easily when there is poor adhesion and a build up of paint. Do your homework, talk to paint suppliers and manufacturers about what it is you're painting and what you're painting over so they can guide you in the right direction when choosing products. Sometimes, spending more money on your sealer can give you the best results.If you're going to have an acrylic enamel or acrylic eurethane enamel sprayed, try and find a painter that's been painting for many years and is familiar with painting these products, it definitely takes more skill to spray a single stage well.Ryan Hill (Vancouver)'65 Chrysler 300'68 Dodge ChargerTo: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: MRS954@xxxxxxxxxxx: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 07:34:57 -0500Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Paint Type, 300-D, other early 300s?!My black 300H has PPG "Concept" single stage paint on it. I painted it in my garage over 7 years ago. I applied 5 coats so that when I polish it each spring, I don't worry too much about burning through to the white epoxy primer/sealer. Those who've seen my car at Carlisle or?the Maine Meet?will vouch for its gleem. I've only driven the car just over 10K miles since the paint job, and it still looks fresh. I have to agree that the base-clear factory finishes on my 05 Grand Cherokee, my 06 Stratus, and my 06 Charger really suck. Each has permanent scars from bug spatter, bird droppings, and no resistance to scratches and scuffs.I recommend single stage paint, and suggest you look into the PPG Concept acrylic urethane paint. It was easy to apply, and easy to clean up. The finished result is only as good as your efforts in wet sanding, color sanding,?polishing, and glazing.Regards,Mark Souders300HMohrsville, PA[Non-text portions of this message have been removed] __________________________________________________________[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)