  From: Andy Mikonis
  To: Chrysler 300 Club ; Lindsey Fuller
  Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 9:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Paint Type, 300-D

  This comes up every so often. Lindsey, John suggested "repair results" of two-stage paints not "longevity." I don't know if you guys own new-ish vehicles with base/clear AND wash/polish/wax them yourself. I have a 2006 Jeep and I feel like if I sneeze on the clearcoat, it's going to scratch. Never mind try to get some tree sap or bird crap off of it.

  I also worked in a body shop for a year and a half a while back and repaired and sprayed both single and two-stage paints. Yes the two stage paints are easier to spray and easier to repair. But my G coupe was single-stage painted about 23 years ago, and I've driven it at least 70K miles in the last 21. I'm not very good to the paint, but when I want to polish it up it looks decent, and appropriate. Sure it has a lot of stone chips (and a couple touch ups on the lower body) but I'm sure if it was two-stage the clear would have had to be reshot years ago to keep it up.

  I just don't think the clear coats are more durable, easier to repair yes, but not more durable. So, for our purposes, a single stage is more durable and more correct looking. I guess if you want your car look shiny perfect for every show, you can reshoot the clear coat whenever you want. In my experience (especially if you have a driver) it will need repairs less often, and look more correct, with a single stage.

  Keep in mind, not a lot of shops shoot single stage any more. They will try to convince you that two-stage is "better" since they are set up for it and used to using it. It may be a self-fulfilling prophecy since those shops may get poor results with single stage since they are not using it all the time. And it will be more expensive. Shop around or DIY!

  Andy Mikonis
  in cold, snowy Chicago