From: E R Mills AT <millserat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: christopher beilby <thelastbestgenius@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 9:27 am
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 300 Tire source woes

Only 235/75R14 I've found were Coker Tire and there is some question as
to whether that is current - suggest you contact them direct - they had
a wide white and a narrow white as well as the old 9.00-14 bias tire
listed.

As to the smaller muscle cars - they typically used 7.50-14 or 8.00-14 -
nothing as big as 8.50-14 or 9.00-14 used on Chryslers. The recommended
replacement for 7.50-14 is 205/75R14 or 215/70R14 and for 8.00-14 is
215/75R14 or 225/70R14 - these are still available from several
manufacturers mostly in raised white letters but also some narrow whites.

Anything from 1962 up would be correct on narrow white (with some issue
if you are worried about precise width and with exception of 1970/71
which were dual white) - try Goodyear, Firestone, Cooper, Khumo, and
Toyo for now - though sizes are being discontinued all the time based on
demand. When I was looking for Cooper 225/75R14, the Region had had only
2 sales in year preceding discontinuing in 2007 - one sale of 1 tire and
one sale of 5 tires. 1 tire remained in computer, but probably a
computer ghost as no one could locate it. Same applies to large 15 inch
whitewalls - 15's still used on trucks up to about 2000 - but RWL or
black and typically they look like truck tires.

Anything from 69 up would be OK with raised white letters. And if you
want correct sidewalls, the Goodyear Custom Wide Tread Polyglass and
Firestone Wide Oval are being made in redline, whiteline, and correct
RWL configurations in those sizes.

Still your point is taken - I just bought a set of Goodyear Regatta II
215/70R14 for my 69 Firebird - don't have to have them yet, but not sure
how long they will survive in todays economic market.

christopher beilby wrote:
> In radials, the only tire I have found that looks about right re filling out
300C wheel openings, and standing the car the right/correct height, is a 235 75
15inch, and on the research I did, I can only agree with those others whom have
said the original 9.50 14inch tires had a diam of appro
x 29.5 inches.  And all
this is before one tries to get wide whitewalls.

> To fit 15 tires on a 300, you cannot easily use 14 factory hubcaps, so I
finding it easier to put on period/correct looking 15 inch chrome wire wheels,
and sdtore your original rimms and caps.  Even going to a 225 75 in a 15 makes
the car look poor/lame, so forget trying 225s in a 14 inch.

> This is obviously how it is in Australia, but Aust's largest US tire seller
says 14 inch in anything over 225 is now for over 12 months gone, regards
mainstream availabilty/manufacture, this despite virtually every late 60s Us
performance car such as GTOS/Chevelles/Chargers etc using/needing them, and they
his biggest seller before this.

> So not only is it 300s in trouble, but I believe many more thousands other
cars.  Anyone knowing any sources for 235 and up widths 14inch tires in 70 or 75
profiles, please let me know.

> You can buy large 14 inch commercial, light truck type tires, but they look
like heavy tires, and tread is like real huge and basic, nothing like 50s-60s
car type.

> Christopher Australia
> http://livelife.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=669758

    (Yahoo! ID required)