[Chrysler300] fuel tank sending unit

I bought a "rebuilt" unit for my '55 C-300 and was disappointed in it.  The
rebuilder had used a different coil of resistance wire in a slightly
different configuration of the wire coil and slider.  It jiggles and gives
inaccurate readings.  Beware of cheapo rebuilt units.  See Hemmings Motor
News for ads.  My rebuilt unit did have a brass float replacing the original
cork float.

The units are the same for all '55 Chryslers, some 6-Volt '55 Imperials and
'55 DeSotos.  Part No. 1571465.

I have not figured out how to seal the sending unit to the tank as the
O-ring seems to be an oddball size and the O-rings I have tried sort of
dissolved in the fumes of local CA gas.  I tried a flat gasket cut from thin
gasket stock to no avail.  I guess I'll try a wad of Permatex on both sides
of a paper gasket next.

Anyone have better success?

Also reporting a successful and well-attended Chrysler 300 Club, Inc. meet
at Sparks last week.  Thanks to the Hills, Jetts and other folks that
contributed to a fun meet somewhere west of Laramie.

C-300'ly
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300