RE: [Chrysler300] Re: AMAs, 355HP, Manual C300, et.al.

RE: [Chrysler300] Re: AMAs, 355HP, Manual C300, et.al.

Unfortunately, much of our discussion on this issue is subjective, including
the
comments in the post to which I am responding.  Over several years now,
I've spoken at length to Kiekhaefer pit crew
fellows, as I suspect you have too, Wayne.  In the absence of hard evidence,
i.e. Kiekhaefer
documentation or NASCAR, the comments of these people are the best we have.
I've seem
some of Karl P's documentation, and I can't conclude that any 1955 cars were
rebodied into
1956 models.  They may have been, but it is really not that important.
During the course of the two
seasons, the cars were so extensively modified both mechanically every week
and in the constant body panel
replacement and repainting, that to conclude that any particular car at
season's end was serial number xxx
just as it started the season would be incorrect.  I believe that Fonty and
his brother Tim, both raced manual
transmission cars at the same races during the 1955 season, as well as
others.  During 1955, the rules didn't
require a manual trans factory option, as they did in 1956. There are other
anomolies as well.  Some NASCAR
programs in 1955 (see the mid season program for the 100 Mile race at
Charlotte) list Tim Flock as the owner of
Chrysler 300 #300 and Fonty as the owner of Chrysler 300 #301. I believe
that is part of the genesis of the arguement
that the one remaining Kiekhaefer race car currently owned by the Henry Ford
museum was actually Tim's car from
1955.  When Tim was alive, it is said that he held that opinion.  Hence the
rumor over rebodying of the 1955 cars.
By the way, Fonty was first in that race and Tim was second; Fonty's car
definately would  have been slower if he
had a powerflite.

One pit crew member told me that they stopped at
a Chrylser dealership on the way to a race because they didn't have what
they considered to be the proper
gear ratio.  A brand new car at the dealership had the correct ratio; the
team purchased the third member from of the car
and installed it in the race car.  They did whatever they had to do to win,
just as every other team did, especially
the Ford and Chevy backed teams.  Carl and team were constantly
experimenting with every sort of combination
of Chrysler, Dodge, Ford and Chevy application in 1955 and especially 1956.
He ran engines on his dyno at full
throttle just to see how much time it would take to make them blow up.  He
ordered from Chrysler a 300B converted
to a convertible to see if it would be useful on the convertible circuit
newly created in 1956 (it was not, in his opinion,
and he sent it back to Chrysler).

Anyhow, won't it be great if we ever get the real documentation?  A couple
of years
ago, Kiekhaefer pit crew members were working with some documentation in the
context of opening a museum, but
that effort was shelved due to some "corporate difficulties" that manifested
themselves in the various transfers of
corporate ownership of Mercury Marine over the years.  The building became
unavailable, even though Carl had
seen the need for a museum before he died.

I can't speak to the 1957 cars, I'll take your word for it.  A three speed
torque flite was available in 1956 too, but
I've never seen any evidence that Carl used them in the 300B.   However,
this is an open question as far as I am
concerned, because about 30 300B's were produced with torque flites.
Perhaps Gil has a good feel for where the
torque flite cars went; I'm sure Carl must have at least tested this
transmission for use in 1956 NASCAR.

Dan