Re: [Chrysler300] Fluid for convertible top mechanism

Re: [Chrysler300] Fluid for convertible top mechanism

Bob,

  I was gathering the convertible parts I bought for my G , when I read the instructions "Use of Silicone Brake fluid voids warranty".  While quite the ominous statement, I rebuilt my 1962 Dodge Polara 500 ragtop system with silicone brake fluid (I rebuilt the pump and put on new hoses and cylinders at that time).  That was 1997.  No leaks, and the system still works fine.

  But then I haven't taken it out of the bag yet....

  However, I believe this time I may use trans fluid since the cylinders have come pre-filled.  Suppose I could drain and flush and blow them out with air, etc. but everytime I do such things, it evolves into  3 other problems being created.  If I can get the shifter cable O-ring leak fixed quickly, do another brake bleed and get it started today, maybe I will tackle the cylinder issue.  Call me at 734.944.9289 if you have any questions or words of encouragement.

  Working toward a fast approaching deadline (Wisconsin Meet),

  John Begian
  Saline, MI
  G ragtop

Bob Jasinski <rpjasin@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Has anyone had any experience using silicone brake fluid in the convertible
top pump on our cars? The '60 Chrysler service manual states to use heavy
duty brake fluid, but I'm thinking silicone brake fluid will be more stable
because it doesn't absorb moisture like DOT 3 or 4 brake fluid does. I know
the later cars use ATF instead of brake fluid, so I am not addressing those
types, just the earlier cars.

Bob J

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional