RE: [Chrysler300] Gold paint..

I would argue that you are NOT DEALING with the same gas formula's, AND in that case the effects of todays gas on the paint or gold paint can not be the same.  As I recall the problems from the transition from regular leaded gas to todays unleaded gas has become more harmfull to the materials that were used on older cars that were designed during the time of the leaded gas formulas.

I know I had to dribble gas down my carbs once in a while when I was driving my 300 in the 70's and never noticed the engine or gold paint being affected by the exposure to any spillage.

--
Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's in Indy

> I'll keep this brief as possible as others likely know way more 300ly about this
> than me.

> Amongst my 300Cs, all my aircleaners that I have are I think factory original
> paint - the gold when cleaned with a mild alloy acid comes back to what I would
> say is medium gold - not a bright dark/rich, not pale gutless/anemic.  But you
> seem to have that part covered.

> What I have noticed is if I put gas down the butterfly shaft/retainer hole, it
> will start to soften the paint.
>
> My dad had a 1959 Austin Healey he sought of 'Harley Earled for Australia' got
> it painted off white with a full length gold flash, above lower/mid side
> pressing relief and to the chrome strip/bead along top of guards/fenders.
> Leopard skin seat facings, gold wire wheels, wide whitewalls.  (Pontiac did an
> early 60s custom in this vein) Sounds sort of weird/bad, but it looked pretty
> smart/classy.  Anyhow point is late 50s (which is same era as our gold 300s
> bits), you couldn't buy automotive gold acryilic paint that withstood gas/petrol
> - my dad had to be super careful he did not spill a drop on the gold when
> filling.  It was a gloss, maybe like the orig 300 gold - but not modern clear
> over base (super) gloss used today to protect metallics in paint.

> That my 300 golds react same way roday as paint on dad's Healey makes me guess
> originally it was same type/story - it certainly seems acryilic, not enamel.
> All my oval cleaners are not concours, in fact on supercharged car, cut in half,
> so just aircleaner casing/element part, so it could be put through radiator
> support panel and sit in front of radiator and draw cold air.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)