RE: [Chrysler300] Rechroming G grille center

RE: [Chrysler300] Rechroming G grille center

What I know, have been told, about chrome/electroplating, flat surfaces are pretty simple, easier, and the chrome/nickel/etc builds up pretty easy/even.  The problem occurs with inside curved areas, such as exactly where water would lie on say a chrome rim - ie further away areas.  It seems the electrically attracted material/chrome/whatever, heads for the nearest places.

And so the spots on a rim/etc say, where you want/need, the thickest plating, can end up with the least.  I belive factory plating often used special placed/shaped anodes put in trickest places, to ensure more plating went to those bad areas.  Modern platers cannot generally afford the tooling/time for such anode making/placing?!  Large chrome diecast dash clusters that come forward, curve, above instrument clusters, can be chromed by putting simple anodes closest to the most curved inner spots, to get round problems there - that one pretty easy for most platers.

Others may offer their (likely far) greater knowledge if they wish, feel appropriate - my guess is close spaced grill bar flat horizontal surfaces would get little plating there, versus the much (electrically) closer vertical grille edges?

Christopher in Australia where in the drought south of nation, nights are cool like early winter 3+ months before time, interrupted by over 100 degree bursts, whilst in north, one area received 2 feet of rain in 10 hours  (!!!!!), and 5000 homes flooded, worst in near 100 years - in other words crazy 'once in 100 years' weather of all wrong sorts over much of Australia.  This month and next are peak collector car event times for the year here - am thinking of taking one of my 300s to Formula 1 Grand Prix 3 day Historic Meeting, but gas prices likely soon over the $7 a gal mark.

To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: r41hp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 09:46:27 -0800Subject: [Chrysler300] Rechroming G grille center

While we're on the topic of G grille restoration, howhave your results been getting G grille centersrechromed? I recently had one done, and wasn't thathappy with it. Specifically, the nickel shows thoughin between the outer and the center. George Riehlactually warned me about this years ago, so when Ibrought it in to my (ex)chrome guy, I asked him if hecould get chrome in there, as well as fill the pits inthat area. He replied "that's what I do."When it came back, the outer surfaces looked fine, butthere was still pitting and discoloration in that inbetween area. He wasn't there and his employee saidyou can't get the chrome into a place like that(!) Onthe upside, his price was low on that piece comparedto some other pieces I had him do. Maybe he wasn'thappy with it himself? It'll probably won't be thatnoticeable when it's installed in the car, but anybodyhave thoughts/experiences with this?Andy yes, the next Club News is at the printers__________________________________________________________Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: