Re: [Chrysler300] Re:a/c freon

In a message dated 1/5/2008 11:05:03 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
lmbarrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Roger,  while I cannot speak for systems that have been evacuated and then
recharged  with the R-134, I can speak from experience with a freshly restored
A/C system  that is initially charged with the R-134. Both Big Yellow and my
newly  restored ‘69 Charger R/T are doing fine with no ill effects.  The Charger
has been on the road for 9  months and the A/C has performed  flawlessly

Louis, I hope your luck holds. You may be at an advantage in that (I
presume) your 300F is not a daily driver, and therefore the air conditioning is
infrequently used. My experience was with my '69 Road Runner convertible with
factory air (a rare combo), which a local a/c shop assured me they could convert
over to R-134. I later learned that this is a common misconception among many
 a/c shops not overly familiar with old-time systems. They know the oil is
different, and that new o-rings must be used, and of course a new
receiver/drier  and a complete flushing, evacuation and refilling with new refrigerant and
you're good to go (so they think!). I paid somewhere around $350 or so and
was a  happy camper for about six months (remember, my Road Runner is a daily
driver, and like you I live in sunny SoCal) until my compressor completely
seized. In forty years of owning air conditioned cars this had never happened to
me before, so I was suspicious and did some digging.

My best info came from Classic Auto Air (in Tampa, FL, I think). These guys
sell new retrofit systems, and  also service and restore old systems like
mine. It was explained to me that using 134 in 1960's a/c systems will burn out
the compressor, since the various control valves (expansion valves, EPR valve,
I  forget what all) are designed to work at different temps and pressures
(R-12)  than found with R-134, and will work after a fashion, but will keep
running the  compressor to try to achieve the temps and pressures of the R-12 they
were  designed for. Eventual result: burned out compressor.

To make matters more confusing, some older systems (from the 1980's) which
were designed for R-12 CAN INDEED be successfully switched over to R-134 (with
the proper changes of course), though I don't remember what differs about
these  systems that makes it possible (something in the controller/valving, I
think).  Apparently this is where lots of shops got the idea that ANY old system
can be  changed over.

I am still repairing the damage done to my RR a/c. When I am ready, I will
bite the bullet and pay the price for R-12 (it is still available). And I will
continue to try to disabuse the unsuspecting of the notion that converting
1960's cars to modern refrigerants is a good idea.

Roger Karlson

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional