RE: [Chrysler300] Period correct tires

Matt:

You apparently have a real collector's item.  One member indicated he had
seen them go at $1,000.  I'd sure give the tire a good detergent scrubbing
with a stiff bristle brush, Brillo pad or 3M scrubbing pad the WSW's (don't
use the bleach products as they may do more harm than good on the old tire)
and possibly a complete wipedown with a good tire protectant (again-not
something oily or greasy designed to give that super shine). I look forward
to words, letters, numbers, pictures, dimensions (tread width, tread depth,
cross section width at 30 psi inflation, outside diameter (height when
standing is easiest, circumference may be a more accurate method of
determining OD)-or whatever part of this information you can develop.

I have seen some information that suggests the blue circle is actually a
spot to insert a basketball-type inflation needle to inflate the space
between a liner and the inner section of the liner that would be inflated
through the normal valve stem.  The liner was to provide protection against
a complete flat tire, with the space between the liner and tire carcass
losing pressure while the inner liner would remain pressurized and provide
some support and control while slowing from 130-150 MPH.  Any information
you or others might have on this would be appreciated.  I do remember
working on tires like this in the '50's and they were a PIA.  Goodyear or
Goodrich Safety-Liners?

Then, I think I'd store the tire and wheel lying flat somewhere cool and dry
until showtime.  Inflated to about 20 psi.  I also suggest you get yourself
another wheel and spare tire for day-to-day use as a driver.

C-300'ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1955 Chrysler C-300 (low mileage, but aged Remingtons-no cracks-most time
since new has been inside dry garages, so will continue to use them.  I
know, I know)

1986 Chrysler LeBaron Town & Country Convertible (new set of Fisk(!)
P185/70R14's from America's Tire today.  Finding these narrow (3/4") WSW
tires was also difficult.

  _____