From: Rich Barber <c300@xxxxxxx>
To: 'MATTHEW OSTROWSKI' <m.ostrowski@xxxxxxxx>; 'Chrysler 300 group' <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Gil Cunningham <Lettercars@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 9:13 pm
Subject: RE: [Chrysler300] Period correct tires

Matt:

I have done some research on this issue with these findings:

            Load    Tread   Cross       Outside

Size            Rating  Width   Section Diameter

P225/75R15      1874#    6.30   8.80        28.30

P235/70R15      1896#    7.00   9.50        28.00

P235/75R15      2028#    6.60   9.30        28.90

8.00X15-Coker   1800#    4.75   8.30        29.08

8.00X15-General LR-B     5.35   8.30        29.10

J78X15      1860#    6.00   8.70        28.72

L78X15 (spec)   1970#    5.88   8.85        29.30

L78X15 (actual) 1970#    6.25   8.75        29.31

The General is a General Dual 90 available from Lucas Automotive.

The L78X15 (actual) is a never used Remington bias-ply tire mounted on a

5.5" Motor Wheel wire-spoke Chrysler rim (mine).  Once you commit to a

radial tire, the size choice is yours.  Several vendors offer these tires

with the correct 3" WSW.  The original tires were quite a bit narrower than

the P-series radials or the J/L bias ply tires and perhaps a little bit

taller.  My conclusion is that the P225/75R15 comes the closest to the

8.00X15 dimensionally and may give you a 0.1" lower ride and a 3%

speedometer error.  Others that have actually purchased and used radial

tires may have other guidance.  I have been unable to find any original

specifications for the Blue Streaks for comparison.

I would be indebted to you if you would copy and transcribe all cast-in

information, letters, numbers and symbols on your original spare, especially

if it is a Goodyear Blue Streak.  And, if you would measure the OD,

cross-section width and tread width and remaining depth at 30 psi inflation

pressure, I'd be doubly in debt.  A digital picture of both sides would be

great.

And do preserve that old Blue Streak tire.  They are like hens' teeth.  I

have heard that some members have been able to collect complete sets for

their 300's.

If our judges have specific guidelines on deductions for non-8.00X15 Blue

Streak tires, that information would be of interest, also.

C-300'ly,

Rich Barber

Brentwood, CA

1955 Chrysler C-300