[Chrysler300] Re:300-D Under Hood Paint Color & Close-up Hood corner pic

[Chrysler300] Re:300-D Under Hood Paint Color & Close-up Hood corner pics.

Our top of the line Chrysler 300s of at least '57-61 vintage were all body color under the hood all the time.  The DeSotos, Dodges and Plymouths had gray primer or black inner wheel wells depending on their manufacturing plant.  Someone else can add years to that list as they have facts.

Front and rear inner wheel wells of Cs and I expect Ds also, were the factory self etching gray primer (which had a bluish tint).  Naturally some overspray got onto them from doing the outer body painting during production.  All cars except specified race cars received wheel well undercoating on the assembly line.  Underbody undercoating was a dealership option that virtually everyone had done in most of the country except perhaps the dry western states.  The underbody of a C or D therefore is that same gray primer and never was painted body color under any circumstance.

Now if I had a new car or clean used car in the late '50s or early '60s and I was into making my car look cleaner and cooler than the next guy's, I might gloss black the wheel wells, at least where they were easily visible, even if I had to scrape away some undercoat to do it.  To this day I'll use a spray can of semi gloss or flat black paint on any of my vehicles wheel wells a couple of times a year to hide the dust and mud stains that accumulate on the undercoat and make the car look better.  I learned that growing up in Chicago where by spring every year the winter salt had left everything under the car a dirty light gray.

Wayne

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional