[Chrysler300] Old wife's (mechanics) Oil tales

[Chrysler300] Old wife's (mechanics) Oil tales

So someone finally mentioned Pontiac's use of windage trays. A couple of motors (Pontiac) I have did indeed use windage trays, and there are two basic versions used around late 60s early 70s I know of. One was not quite full length, whilst the other was/is, and ran right to the nose area of the sump. They usually bolt up with a couple of small bolts each to a fronter and rearer main bearing cap, and run right out to the outer edge of the block each side. And obviously the longer the stroke (say 400 versus 421, 428/455), the more curved/deeper the tray must be.

And usually, the higher performance the motor/use, firstly as to whether one used, plus then, the longer the tray.  They are stamped steel, and there is a little dipstick tube extension one puts in as one bolts the tray up, that allows dipstick to pass through tray into bottom of sump for correct reading  of oil level.

Chrysler may have used some form of windage trays, but I am unaware of street used say 331 - 392 hemis having them, whereas they are/were near universal in say many late 60s higher hp GTOs, and both my 428 69 SJ GP, and 70 455 SJ Grand Prix have the full length one, plus 67 360hp 400 motor in my convertible.

Maybe some 300 member out there knows of what hp gain different 300s get if one fitted - Pontiac quoted some figure, but I do not remember it (maybe 10-20hp at high revs?) - another also fairly common (pontiac) hp 'winner; is to fit 'crank scrapers' that bolt up at sump edges and are so close a fit, they scrape oil off rotating crank for more hp gain.

Once again, whilst pretty common on Ebay nowadays re Pontiac, I do not know if anyone markets one for hemis or wedges unless of a semi race application? Anyone out there with hemi/wedge 300 that has fitted a tray and/or scraper, and what benefit/gain?!

Christopher in Australia where our bad gas prices getting higher once again, never mind seemingly near everything else - China is buying too much of it/everything we are told, so we must pay more to keep some here, plus our drought has returned with a vengance after a few autumn rains earlier fooled near everyone that it was finally over.

CC: hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: hurst300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:43:01 -0500Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Old wife's (mechanics) tales

I think that's not quite right, Paul.It's called a Windage Tray because it keeps the WIND created by the spinning crank from foaming and aerating the oil.The crank never actually hits the oil unless it's overfilled. Spinning at 6K+ rpms can fog the oil and actually pull it up around the spinning parts and maybe starve the pump.RayOn Oct 17, 2007, at 5:24 PM, paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:Ok I do not recall anyone mentioning this,when the crankcase is FULL , the crank (in motion) smacks intothe pooled oil, casting the spray up on the lower cavities of theblock, cooling and oiling are the expected results of this action.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: