  From: Rich Barber<mailto:c300@xxxxxxx>
  To: 'Chrysler 300 Broadcast'<mailto:Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 11:49 PM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] Aluminum keys-update

  We are at '49-'63 Chrysler products having aluminum keys from the factory.
  Any information on pre-'49 and/or post '64's? Any judging pluses or minuses
  for Al keys?

  I liked the part about the lighter keys helping performance. Maybe the
  dissimilar metal electrochemical reaction produces that added kick? I have
  both the nickel-plated brass and aluminum keys with the DCPD emblems for my
  1955 and every detail of their design is identical. The grooves are the
  same for both keys, but the octagon-head key for the ignition switch and
  doors is cut different from the rounded-square head key that fits the trunk
  & glove compartment. The IBM card build sheet contains key numbers for the
  "IGN KEY NO.", "R. DECK KEY NO." and "GL. BOX KEY NO.". The rear deck and
  glove box key number is the same, but there is an indication they could be
  different.

  Thanks to all that responded for the very prompt and mostly consistent
  response.

  C-300'ly
  Rich Barber
  Brentwood, CA
  1955 Chrysler C-300

  More:

  I have original aluminum keys in my 49, 50 and 55 Chryslers. Not sure if
  they started in 46-8 or not but were what was done by 49 for sure. My 48
  Desoto has brass keys but they were replaced ones I'm sure.

  My 64's don't appear to have been aluminum since they went to the pentstar
  then and were a different looking key by then. Got to admit I had expected
  the 63's to be brass also.

  Both oem keys for my 52 Plymouth Suburban have the dcpc emblem embossed on
  their aluminessness.

  I just checked and my 1961 Newport came with aluminum keys... I bought it
  from the original owners a couple of years ago...this is just another reason
  that the Chryslers were so darned fast...........lightweight keys....if your
  present keys for your 57 C are non-aluminum my C is gonna be faster that's
  for sure.......

  Hi 300 Fans, All of my four 56 Chryslers and a 55 NYer I drove in
  highschool (now sadly gone) had/have aluminum keys as originals. I remember
  clearly my Dad commenting on the set he got the day he took delivery of his
  Windsor about how light weight they felt in his hand and wondering if they
  bent easily. Those keys are the ones I use today when I drive that car.

  The only set of keys I have for my 57 C #2550 are both aluminum......If John
  Chesnutt is reading the listserver today he might shed some light as he
  bought his 57C back when it was new....

  Looks loike an original to me also. All then 50's MoPars I have owned had
  these as well as my F and a G we used to own. Now the real question, Why
  would it cost almost $4 to ship a KEY?????

  My 62H has aluminum keys.

  Canadian Chrysler products came with Al-You-Minium keys. And the keys might
  have been transformed to that elemental isotope when they were exported down
  under??