[Chrysler300] Dual Quads and US 1st factory 4bbls?

[Chrysler300] Dual Quads and US 1st factory 4bbls?

I had a '52 Cadillac Sedan that I bought back in 1974 that I think was 4bbl
carb standard.  The car had the most amazing brakes - you could hit the
brake pedal at any sort of speed, and lock all four wheels in a contolled
stop/slide. ( I paid $100 for it (owner wanted $300, but when I asked him
did he have the 2 missing hubcaps, he said alright he would take $100!!  I
drove it 200 miles home, arrived back late at night, and woke everyone up by
hitting brakes at 40 mph - all the saw was a shiny black sort of mass hidden
by clouds of old cross ply tire smoke. )  Car would have I think run rings
round most Mopar cars that year re ride, handling, quality - apart from
those brakes. The old single couple 4 speed hydramatic was not however the
sharpest/smoothest trans ever.

Very few more expensive Cadillac or Chryslers in early 50s were sold in
Australia - all had to be rhd, and Cadillac stopped building rhd in US
around 52-53,  Chryslers were even rarer, usually ex US Embassy here, or
occasionally very senior management of US Companies with Offices here. (One
   of the Nation's two major Airline's owner used to get as free new
Cadillac every year or so early 60s for so many new Boeing Airliners he/they
bought.)

Plymouths and Doge 6s were very popular as Taxis/Cabs here into early mid
50s, but again Chrysler still very rare.  Only one 1957 300C is/was known in
Austrlalia pre 1960 models, and even any 300F or G, not ever featured in
early 60s publications as being here then.

Buick I think went dual carb on some motors late 30s or just post war.  And
Ford up to 1956 had primitive looking 'teapot 4bbl' carb Y block motors,
until they went to the more modern Holley in 1957.

And first few years Chrysler hemi 300s were limited horsepower wise I think
by the WCFB Carter airflow capacity - this addressed somewhat by later
Carter's AFB.

The horsepower race caught many by how fast it moved - Ford's new ohv Y
Block was too small at 312 by 1957 after just a few years, yet the sidevalve
that it replaced had been large/powerful enough to last needs for over 20
years.

Pontiac however managed to make it's early 50s V8 grow internally in same
looking block from under around 300 cubic inches, to 455 by 1970, and from
1957 on gave Chrysler, their 300s, much grief re being a fast street car in
near stock form.
By the 1959 Drag Nationals, Pontiacs abound in the near 800 entries, with
only Chryslers then being motors in altereds and rails.  And that is where
Chrysler still has last/best laugh - even today, over 50 years since 1st
design hemi offered for sale.  And - - no jap motor has ever even tried
compete with it?!

If you want a bit more aussie motoring trivia look for your President
arriving in Sydney this week - the cars escorting his Motorcade are what the
new G8 Pontiac is based upon - give your GM dealer $1000, and with full
warranty they up Computer Management so it gives another 40 or 50 KW at rear
wheels, and the cars run 13 sec quarter miles - not bad for your aussie 4
door family sedan.  And they have just announced a swoopy lighter Ute, based
on same floorplan - US keen to get it, but your Unions maybe a problem.

Christopher in Australia

>From: "Wayne Graefen" <wgraefen@xxxxxxx>
>To: "grcann" <grcann@xxxxxxxxxxx>,"Intl 300"
><Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<c300@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Re:Phoenix Dual Quad hemi Bargain
>Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:39:17 -0500
>
>Of course, any time I venture outside Chrysler, I'm in great peril.
>However, Buick in '52 on the straight eight employed either the Stromberg
>or Carter four barrel on the Roadmasters.  Olds got a 4bbl in '53.
>Thanks for the correction that only the '54 DELUXE New Yorkers had the
>Carter WCFB (William Carter Four Barrel!).
>Wayne

Advertisement: Telstra?s Next GTM Network - now on Pre-Paid. Find out more.
www.spreadthegoodstuff.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fclk%2Eatdmt%2Ecom%2FOAT%2Fgo%2Fnnmsnnxg0080000046oat%2Fdirect%2F01%2F&_t=765565283&_r=Telstra_FFF_Prepaid_Hotmail_Email_Taglines_JuySep07_Aug&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: