[Chrysler300] 1955 Fuel Tank Sending Unit

[Chrysler300] 1955 Fuel Tank Sending Unit

My '55 also had a cork float--and an open circuit due to the resistance wire
being worn through by the slider.  The sending unit rebuild guy replaced the
resistor, slider and the arm holding the cork float.  He brazed a new wire
arm (with a hollow brass float attached) to the end of the old arm and it
all fit into the tank just fine.  No telling where the replacement float and
arm came from, but one might shop around for a used one that had the right
shape at your favorite salvage yard.

The original cork seemed to have clear shellac on it and the cork was not
saturated.  I had my mechanic braze a small stud to the base of the sending
unit so I could attach a ground wire to it.

I was unable to find the correct O-ring to fit between the tank and the base
of the sender.  At the suggestion of others on the server, I cut a new round
gasket from 1/16" cork and inserted it between the tank and the sender base.
Spacing seems ok and the locking ring seemed to crush the cork just right.
I didn't use any sealant and will find out how effective this fix is at the
next fill.

Original grounding of the sender seemed to be rather casual from the sender
base to locking ring to tank to straps to trunk floor--with lots of
opportunities for insulation.  I have a wiring diagram that shows a second
(white) wire from the sending unit to the dash gauge for suburbans only.

I've had a lot of cars over the last 50+ years and recall that very few of
them had a fuel gauge system that was anywhere near accurate and linear.
And even fewer that had filler systems that enabled fully and consistently
filling the tank.  Our VW had its tank under the hood and was easy, if a
little inconvenient, to completely fill and I'd guess a Model A fuel tank
would also be easy to fill.

Rocket scientists might tackle these issues some day.  I'd like to see a
system that was full when the pump kicks off, indicated Full on the gauge at
that time and a gauge system that indicated gallons remaining in the tank
and Empty when it was empty.  My wife panics when she sees a fuel gauge
anywhere near 1/4 Full and I regularly drive until the gauge drops below
Empty.  In my mind this reduces the time spent/wasted at gas stations.  Once
in a great while, I can squeeze in a volume of fuel fairly close to
manufacturer's stated capacity.  With that VW, I had a convenient valve
under the dash that enabled draining the last 1.5 gallon from the 10 gallon
tank.  This sufficed for the early VW's that had no fuel gauge and enabled a
careful driver another 40-60 miles of driving to find fuel.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 Chrysler C-300