Re: [Chrysler300] AFB Carbs

In a message dated 6/5/2007 5:35:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  c300@xxxxxxx
writes:

Joe:

Thanks for your input. Can you recall any other details of  what defined the
rating point? Critical flow? Maximum allowable pressure  drop? Some
optimum? With or without air cleaners?

My sly drool  indicates 500 cfm is equivalent to 2,295 lbs/hour at sea level,
60 degrees.  At a 15:1 air-fuel ratio, fuel use would be 164 pounds/hour or
about 28  gallons/hour of gasoline. If your 300 was doing 130 mph, that
would be 4.6  mpg at WOT. Probably a reasonable number for a racing  300.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber

Good Heavens, it's been 50 years since I was running those machines!   We had
three flow stands when I started there, and as I recall, they were  capable
of flowing about 1500-2000 lbs/hr.  The four-barrel  carburetors taxed the
available airflow of the pumps, so while I was there, we  built a fourth one.  It
was about 1 1/2 times the size of the others, and I  seem to remember it was
capable of about 2500 lbs/hr flow.  Don't quote me  on those figures, sometimes
I can't remember my own name anymore!

We timed how long it took to flow a known volume of air and fuel to go
through the carburetors at various vacuum and throttle settings and calculated
ratios with a slip-stick.  A big AFB running WOT took about 2 seconds  to empty
the reservoir.  The operator had to be quick, or a waterseal  "moat" would get
sucked dry, much to the amusement of everyone within  earshot!  I may or may
not have described the test procedure on the list in  the past, but it's too
late tonight to go into it now.  If anyone cares,  tell me and I'll go through
the drill for you all.

Joe  Savard
Lake Orion, Michigan

Yahoo! Groups Links