[Chrysler300] where it all also (sometimes cannot be?) started

[Chrysler300] where it all also (sometimes cannot be?) started

I may have missed it, but two other key points re hard starting, especially
if motor already hot - say not long after turned off?

1) if the motor is at a high, or higher, operating temperature when turned
off, (obviously?) there will be more fuel/gas vaporization - so it may be a
great help/thought, that the radiator, water pump circulation etc is in
best order.
And then here is another personal obsevation/thought - Australia is often
big distances between towns - distances one can sit on speeds around (well
over in older pre speed limit days) 60 mph. Eventually one stops for gas -
and here is the tip to avoid hard restarting - I always try to pick only
stopping, turning otor off, after the car has done some distance at say the
town's lower built up speed limit - say 5 mins plus.
Those 5 or more 'near idle speed' minutes give the car/motor a chance to rid
itself of the extra heat higher open road speeds put into the motor and
cooling system - so in effect when you now turn the motor off, there is not
the huge sudden heat surge/build up, from 60mph travelling to be got rid of
by a radiator that no fan is pulling cooling air for as you pump the gas!!??

2) the point about NOT cranking the starter continuously for more than say a
minute is very true - however forget the arnature etc, the BIGGEST reason
your starter will crank SLOWLY/SLOWER, are the small bushes/bearings in each
end of the starter.  THE LEAST BIT OF WEAR/PLAY can/will? see your starter
crank at way slower speed, plus draw way more current - eventually fail, or
I think the term before this happening is 'polarising' !? Crank your baby
over too long, and those plain bearings in each end are not going too last
so long either?!

So before, or just, blaming too thin leads, first also make sure your motor
is first not running hotter than should (this before turn off tricks like
letting motor have a chance to cool first if just driven hard), and this can
be blocked radiator, distributor timing wrong, etc, etc  - then make sure
your starter has near perfect end bushes. ( And I think this 'starter being
in good order' was mentioned already.)

So finally/only - if both these right, plus you have known good, large
capacity, battery, and your leads are thick and short with good ends/earths
- only then are you like the Airline counter assistant in movie "trains
Planes and Automobiles' said - "you are ****ed!!!!!!'

Chrysler I doubt would have been so dumb to make the early 6V 300s poor/slow
crankers from new - Chrysler of all the US carmakers/majors were mainly
engineering driven, unlike say GM who after the late 50s maybe too often let
the bean counters carry too much weight sometimes !!??

Anyone out there remember these cars new - surely they cranked pretty good
new, even if 6V ?

Christopher in Australia - South Australia - where (more annoying) showers
predicted for days ahead -  300s tucked in sheds weather

>From: "Rich Barber" <c300@xxxxxxx>
>To: "'John Mc Adams'"
><clafong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<artc@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [Chrysler300] Here's where it all started
>Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 21:32:13 -0700
>
>Excellent point, but I believe most of the heat is generated from
>resistance
>losses in the armature and coils, not friction of carbon on copper.  Arcing
>may be an issue there.  A temperature of 360 degrees F, plus, is required
>melt solder.  I don't know if an armature could get that hot. But what ever
>excess heat is generated is mostly hard on the insulation--and after 40
>years, hopefully the engineers had begun building starters to take a
>licking
>and keep on ticking.
>
>Charles Kettering had the brilliant observation that starters did not have
>to run continuously so could be designed for "short" bursts of high
>current.
>He patented the electric starter in 1915 and it changed the automotive
>world
>as women could now easily start internal combustion engines, were no longer
>relegated to electric autos and hit the road in droves.  Progress!!!(?).
>Kettering was a partner in Dayton Engineering Laboratories Co (DELCO) and
>was also a co-inventor of Freon.
>
>Another post suggested checking the block-to-firewall grounding strap.
>Always a good idea.  The one on my car is intact, but is kind of dainty and
>certainly designed to assure a good ground connection for lights, fans,
>accessories and coil--not the starter.  Connecting a ground cable to a
>starter bolt would parallel the existing circuit between the primary ground
>cable on the front of the engine to the starter--and I think that would be
>of negligible resistance.
>
>One last thought, then let's bury this one for another six months--and that
>is ignition timing.  As the timing is advanced, the engine may be harder to
>start.
>
>C-300'ly,
>Rich Barber
>Brentwood, CA
>1955 Chrysler C-300

Advertisement: Senior Management roles paying $80k+ Search now at
www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eexecutive%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ase%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=763838044&_r=seek_may07_snrmanagement&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: