[Chrysler300] Big wheels

Before I replaced the original 15"x5.5" stamped steel wheels with Motor
Wheel wire wheels on my 1955 C-300, I did notice a lot of wheel cover
squawking from the original C-300/Imperial wheel covers.  This possible
indication of excessive deflection came with L-78X15 Remington bias ply
tires mounted-tube-type.  I did note many of the little teeth on the wheel
covers had worn down some after 78,000 miles/52 million revolutions.  Anyone
have any luck sharpening these little teeth? I do recall from the '50's that
various wheel/wheel cover combinations did tend to squawk differently, but
do not recall that to be  problem with my '60's Mopars.

The original 8.00x15 Goodyear Blue Streak racing tires on 1955 300's were
narrower tires than the L-78's. The 1955 Chrysler service manual indicates
the 5.5" wide rims were used with 7.60's on Windsors and 8.00's on New
Yorkers & 300's.  Imperials got 6" rims with 8.20's and Crown Imps got 6.5"
rims with 8.90's.  Both Imperial wheels had the 1" larger bolt circle at
5.5".  While this data suggests the wheel-tire combinations were carefully
engineered for the loads of the times, bigger wheels and tires for the
high-speed 300's would have seemed to make sense.  Carl Kiekhaefer's racing
300's appear to have very wide wheels, perhaps 8"-9"??

It would be interesting to hear from anyone actually experiencing rim
failure with a Mopar wheel.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
1955 Chrysler C-300