Re: [Chrysler300] strange starting disorders

Re: [Chrysler300] strange starting disorders

John

It appears that you have replaced or repaired all but the switch.  To
test the switch, identify the wire at the fender solenoid that comes from
the switch.  When the starter is self cranking, remove the wire from the
solenoid.  If it continues to crank you have eliminated the switch as the
problem.  If you want to eliminate the fender solenoid, identify the wire
from the solenoid that goes to the starter solenoid.  Remove that wire
from the fender solenoid while it is self cranking.  If it continues to
crank, you have eliminated the fender solenoid.

You said you have rebuilt the starter solenoid so perhaps the problem is
that the starter is out of alignment relative to the starter ring or it
needs to be moved outward so the teeth of the gears don't bottom out.  In
either case the torque of the starter while cranking could pull the
starter gear into the starter ring which could keep the contacts inside
the starter solenoid engaged until the engines fires and reverses the
torque load.  Hope this helps.

Minnesota Marshall
Red G,  27 & 28 Dodge Brothers.

On Thu, 18 Jan 2007 17:14:32 -0700 <john_nowosacki@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I may have asked this in the past, but if I did, I never got a magic
> answer (maybe there isn't one).
>

> My 61 G has a strange starting problem (although it always starts!)
>

> When I turn the key to the start position, the motor begins cranking
> as it should, but if I turn the key back to ON or OFF or ACC before
> the engine starts, it will just keep cranking!!
>

> There have been a couple of rare times when there was no gas in the
> carbs or the choke was stuck open and the car wouldn't start that
> the battery would be in danger of wearing down, and I'd have to jump
> out of the car (engine still cranking by itself), and pull one of
> the cables off the battery to make it stop.
>
> I can immediately return the cable to the battery, and the cranking
> does not begin again until I go back into the car and turn the key
> to START again.
>

> When the car does start (if I haven't let it sit too long or
> forgotten to lube the choke), there is never any run-on of the
> starter motor.  It simply disengages the way a normal starter motor
> should.
>
> This is not an intermittent problem.  It is always this way.  I just
> need to turn the key to start for a second, and I can release the
> key to the ON position, and the car will keep cranking until it
> starts and then the starter motor stops as normal.
>

> Any time I want I can turn the key to START, and then turn the key
> back to OFF and remove it, but the starter motor will remain
> cranking.
>

> It's a very simple circuit, so what gives?
>
> I've rebuilt the starter motor and Solenoid and replaced the starter
> relay with no change in behavior.
>
> The only thing I haven't done is change the ignition switch in the
> dash, but I thought that if it was the problem, it would try and
> make the starter continue to grind after the motor started, or the
> starter motor would begin to crank again after putting the battery
> cable back on the battery.
>

> It is very interesting to be able to turn the key to START, get out
> of the car and watch the engine fire up while standing next to the
> car and not having to hold the key!  It's just not normal.
>

> Any suggestions?
>

> John

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: