Re: [Chrysler300] build sheet engine code?

Re: [Chrysler300] build sheet engine code?

Hi Dan,

I'm sending this reply to the whole 300 listserver.  Anyone out there who can shed some more light on this info please do send your corrections or additions.

I have a few build sheets for 300Ls and the engine code on all of them is 580.  Is the 582 a different engine?

On the data plate (which you are missing), under the A and B the codes for the 360 hp hi-performance engine can be either 71 or 99.  On some cars it is 71, on others 99.  My 300L has the 99 code.  It was built in May, 1965.

The Letter 300 only came with the 360 hp hi-performance engine, so to be original it must have that engine.  The non-letter had it available as an option.

The value would certainly be higher with the correct engine.

I can decode most of the data plate info.  I have not been able to be absolutely sure about a couple of the codes, and I have the data from a number of known cars with their respective options.  If anyone out there with a 300L can send me a legible copy (or rubbing) of his/her car's data plate along with the options on the car, I would be glad to add the data to my "database" (pun intended) of information on the 300L.  It is very important to include every option that you know the car has.  It permits me to narrow down some of the codes for which I have questions.  As L Consultant, the more information I have helps me decode the data more accurately.  I am always glad to be of service to help decode a member's car.  As you may already know, the Club has the microfilm files for 1955 through 1964, but not for 1965.  As a result, we need to create our own file of information.  The 300Ls were mixed into the whole Chrysler line for 1965, which makes it even more difficult to separate the information specific to the L.  Thanks for any help any of you can provide.

Don Warnaar
New Jersey