[Chrysler300] quick ps re slowing fake 300s

[Chrysler300] quick ps re slowing fake 300s

Apologies to those sick of the topic - if so hit delete button now - two
hopefully quick " ps" to my suggestion earlier re 'noting any 300s as
seen/heard of' as a first best means of future knowing original 300s from
clones/fakes.

1) it is important I add/support the already mentioned thought re any detail
re generally unknown markings/identifiers on 300S beyond the Vin and data
plate should not be broadcast, and in fact only issued to owner of that
particular year letter car once the Club has established they indeed own an
original 300.
Roger Schaff mentions rip off Vettes, and there are untold other way rarer
cars that now exist in greater numbers than ever produced - Japan seemingly
a few years back was a great place to sell fake early racing Jags and
Ferrari etc to.  Let the ripoff merchants find out all the hard stuff by
their own means - the Club need not make it easier for them to rip us/others
off ?!

2) A key thing the Club/Members should also strive for I believe, is to
preserve or save as much of original car's 'fabric/parts' still remaining.
This means if possible as others have suggested DO NOT CUT UP ORIGINAL
TAILSHAFTS, rather put them away and make a complete new one if going to
more modern uni joint sertup.  Obviously lots of leather interiors in say
300Cs, plus their thin headlinings will be now mostly 'non show, or worse
stuffed/nackered - and therefore 'replaced'.  I kept my original one when my
trimmer replaced it, even though he had picked it apart in places.
Call me stupid, but I wanted it still, it part of a car now not so original.
  This also goes I believe to keeping your original shockers if you put new
gas one on. They may be useless to you, but in years to come, invaluable re
knowing how close any new interior, etc is/was to Factory. (Likewise I am no
fan of wrong 2 pak paint, powdercoated too glossy parts where wrong re
original finishes, etc - this however a personal thing/issue for others.)
All jmy cars have original door cards, seat backs, even if not 100% show -
call me stupid again if you wish - I even kept good pieces of my carpet,
rear parcel tray, etc.

Our cars lose more originality the more we restore or use them - sad maybe,
but a fact.  But that is like another fact - as our cars lose originality,
they grow a 'history', an ownership record, (a personality/character') and
if we are clever, a/that story that can add to the cars 'worth', and that
not meaning in a monetary sense.
We do not own them in reality, as we all finally go (maybe/hopefully?) to
that 'another place' eventually, and someone else will take over
'ownership/care' of our car/cars.

So my message/thought is - enjoy our cars, however always try to save
whatever we replace, whilst in replacing always trying to replicate as close
as possible what the factory did.  That way our 300s next owner is best in a
position to continue what we have hopefully enjoyed.

Sorry if I have gone on too long again, but 30 plus years of seeing bits of
rare cars thrown away too often sees regret at that too late.  Lert others
throw away the worthless too common cars parts.

Fired up my Supercharged 300C this afternoon - attempt 2 after now bolting
back on inner guard and still not finished d/s guard on - minus exhaust -
backed up the 50 metres to rear of shed I am working on it on, and gave it
about half throttle as releasing brakes  ( I need/needed some
'encouragement/fun' to keep me motivated - I own this car to use, so I
bloody well thought it needed some quick use?!).
Nothing happened except a lot of noise, then the car crept forward a bit, so
I got off throttle.  Boy you should have seen the tire smoke that filled the
shed, and the 20 feet of bits of spat out melted tires thrown off from both
rear wheels.  This car seriously needs slicks, that blower gives it real low
down tire shredding grunt, any wonder the original owners claimed it never
ever lost over the quarter mile from 1958 on when they ran it in eastern
States !

The car may look still a bit unfinished, but do the body on a 300C/D so it
sits right on the chassis again - not down in the guts as they can get when
rust gets bad in rear of rockers in cabin - and they are one beautiful
sight.  Wish I was going to Lawton - those who can are silly not to - I am
aiming to be at next year's one - my little time and funds swallowed for
this year by this baby.  Get out there and enjoy them now - China looks like
it is not only going to suck up all our jobs and overwarm the planet as they
all buy cars - it is also going to put up our gas prices so dear too soon ?!
Christopher in Oz

Yahoo! Groups Links