[Chrysler300] erratic fuel gauge readings

On Behalf Of Louis M. Barrie
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 8:39 AM

Um...A gas tank gauge that is accurate?  Who has had experience with rebuilt

/ reproduction fuel sending units for the 300F and what works best?

Louis,

As far as I know, there are no "good" reproduction sender units for our
cars. Some years ago, I had ordered a repro from some outfit on the East
Coast, can't remember the name, and I was not too pleased with it.

If dealing with inaccurate fuel gauge readings, first step in diagnosing
what is the cause of the problem. It is not necessarily the sender.

1/ remove sender unit from tank (relatively easy job, as long as tank is
less than 1/2 full) . Check first for fuel INSIDE the float - this will
happen more often than you think. If the float is OK, using ohmmeter,
measure resistance from full to empty, by moving the arm.  Should read
between 10 Ohms and 72 Ohms, something like that.  Any variations or dead
spots, the sender needs rebuilding.  Jeff Carter does deal with those.

2/ If sender checks out OK and float is good, reinstall. Make sure the
sender is properly grounded to the fuel line via the relevant strap. If need
be, run a jumper wire from sender body to ground and check operation that
way.

3/ if still erratic / inaccurate readings, check multi-plug between front
and rear wiring harnesses for corrosion (located behind front kick panel)

Next, either the gauge on dash is bad, or the voltage regulator portion of
the  OIL PRESSURE gauge is bad. If the output of the oil psi gauge regulator
is too high or too low, it will affect the readings of the temp gauge AND
the fuel gauge.

John Hertog

Sag Harbor NY

Yahoo! Groups Links