Re: [Chrysler300] Dave Clelland's G, Concours or show!?

Re: [Chrysler300] Dave Clelland's G, Concours or show!?

John,

Very well put.  Anyone even vaguely familiar with any Chrysler product from 1960-61 should know that the latches were painted.  That changed in '65. (as you know)  Hinges were painted, but the latches were plain metal.

As far as I know, ever since Chrysler Corp. started using rotary type latches beginning in 1939 (Plymouth in 1940) and on into the '60s, they were all painted the exterior color.  Chrysler, along with Nash, Packard and I think Studebaker, were far ahead of their time with door latches and concealed trunk hinges with counter-balanced spring-loaded lids.  I think International also used the rotary latches on their pick-up trucks.  GM and Ford stayed with the old-fashioned latches until the 1948-49 era.  And GM's latches in the early '50s were rather poor.  Doors had to be slammed to close all the way.  The doors of all Chrysler Corp. cars could be closed with a very light touch.

As you can see, it's a favorite topic of mine.

Don

Yahoo! Groups Links