[Chrysler300] Rarity, rods and Old Farts.....

[Chrysler300] Rarity, rods and Old Farts.....

There was this bunch, two bunches as it turned out, of twenty
somethings that complained about all the old farts that were selling
their cars because they wanted new ones.  The youngins' soaked them
up as best they could.  How else could $5,000 to $10,000 cars be got
for $500? Used, abused and sent to pasture.  Some original owners
kept them; they became the bench marks: "Original Owners".

Some said they werw rare, but hell, I saw them all over the place. I
remember a guy that had rows of them in a shop in Chicago; $500,
$900, some beat-up wrecks for $100---that eventually went to the
Soldiers Field demo derby.  Lots were restored, sometimes radically---
some people cried,"Foul!", but most just didn't know.  There was one
fellow locally that went nuts with these rare beasts---had twenty of
them, all original.

I used to go to their meets. Fine people, knowledgable, friendly "car-
nuts". They would ask, "300?? What's that???  Aren't those Mercedes?"

You know that MOST Dusenbergs made where four door sedans??  Did you
know that no two were ever made alike?  Did you know that now there
are TWICE as many roadsters as there were when production ceased?

When I take the 300 now to public "Cruise Nights"  I get the, "Look,
and old 300M, or "Oh, it doesn't say "HEMI" on it." or "My Uncle
Harold had one of those, but it was a four-door."

So back in the 70's another bunch of twenty-somethings started a
couple of car clubs. "300" was the theme, not "Classic" or "Auburn,
Cord & Duesenberg". I believe it was noted by Gil Cunningham that no
two 300's were ever made alike. I believe it.

Rods are always around. The Airflow at Barret-Jackson is an example.
It is only ILLEGAL to do with a car what you want in France. You want
to put an automatic into your "F" convertible because that 4-speed
has bad synchros, go right ahead--if you own it.  If you try to MAKE
an F convertible four-speed, however, thank God there are people
around to say, "Hey, wait a minute."

I remember comments about how 300 C converts were common as dirt---
but they were only Black or White.  It was years before people
figured out they kept seeing the same 3 cars.

L. Andrew Jugle, Elmhurst, IL. ...and I miss George Berg and George
Cone every day.

Yahoo! Groups Links