[Chrysler300] memory lane & 300's

MMMMmm.  Since age seems to be a topic, yesterday I was in my 40's and today
I graduated to the 50's; think of me as a C300 with a very late build date
(06/15) .  AARP here we come. Feels kind of funny to realize that  I was
about 25 when I first joined the club, and that I have been smitten with
300's over a good half of my life!  To celebrate, I just allowed myself a
trip down memory lane, by looking through some old folders...   hand-written
note from the very first Club member I ever met, in Wausau, WI.  (hi, Joe
Jordan) with directions to George Cone's house - which led to an
unforgettable ride in George's red 300H convertible at supersonic speeds;
toll receipt from the Ohio Turnpike dated 10/11/1980, one of the happiest
days of my life as I had just picked up  my very first 300 Letter car from
Bob Horman  a  black 300F. ;  another receipt dated 03/13/1982, from
Effingham Truck Plaza on I-70 in Illinois, $10.25 for tightening up a loose
starter on a 300G I had purchased in L.A. and was driving back to NY (that
car now belongs to John Doyle, down the road from me,  who bought it later
that year, and we are still good friends) .   Great letters from our dear
Eleanor, and more from Gloria;  notes from Jerry Kocur and  Jeff Miklas
circa 1982  (hi- Jeff, do you remember offering me a 300F  hood for $50
bucks ? Jerry did sell me one, and a grille, after I'd hit a deer with my
300F  !)

All this to say...  some things have changed a lot in the past 25 years, and
others have not. I paid $2000 for that first black 300F, and it was a NICE
car; about 90K miles, straight black body, a little wear here and there, and
what a runner !  same car today would be worth about $25,000.00, maybe more.
That $50 used 300F hood would  likely cost about $1000 .  There were no
computers or even fax machines, and Eleanor's letters are typed on what
looks like an old manual Underwood typewriter. Yet, it is apparent that,
even back then, club members communicated,  took care of each other and
helped each other out.

One thing that has NOT changed, in all these years, is the smile on my face
everytime I open a garage door and behold the 300 within,  and what I
experience each and everytime I fire it up and take it out for a good hard
run. The sight, the sound, the smell, the feel ....   hope I can keep it up
for another 25 years. With help from all my 300 friends out there.

John Hertog
doddering old fool in Sag Harbor NY

http://us.click.yahoo.com/B9pRWD/3MnJAA/Y3ZIAA/8LmulB/TM