Black Magic on the Steering Committee

The shop manual is totally useless in describing how to take the slack out of
the power steering pump belts on 60 and newer Mopars. Mr. Merritt sells a
"tool" for the adjustment of this Machiavellianistic device but includes zero
instruction manual, assuming that we all know how to procede. We Dont! I have
taken apart 6 of these and all of them are missing what must have been
included as OEM, some sort of rubber gadget to stuff in the valley between the
attaching bracket and the pump itself. If, indeed, there is a rubber spacer needed
other than the hunk of radiator hose I have always defaulted to, shouldn't
Goers or the Club make new ones? Every single pump I have ever seen has nothing
down in the Valley of Old Grease except what somebody has juryrigged as a
field expediant over the years. Now I know this subject has been broached before
but I suspect the Elders that have arisen as teachers haven't really got the
message across and some of the "we", the students, haven't had the courage to
say.....I don't get it. Well, I am admitting it......I don't get it. Maybe
this is like the child that finally said....The Emperor has no clothes!! Could
someone construct a "how-to" article for the Club News perhaps? Andy always
needs something and this would be usefull for all the years left on these great
autos of ours. It is possible that this has been done in the early years of
the Club. Anybody archieve an explanation and care to share in what News it
may have been?

Larry W Jett
950 Woodside Road Suite 4
Redwood City CA 94061