Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel problem - answer

Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel problem - answer

Warren,
I agree that the bushing should be replaced when
rebuilding. In an already installed engine, I pull the
distributer, and check for excessive side play in the
shaft and pull it out and see if the shaft shows wear
just below the gear and if so, replace the shaft at
the same time the bushing is replaced and burnished. I
always replace the shaft with the heavy-duty Direct
Connection shaft. The hex end that drives the oil pump
is machined instead of a piece of hex stock pressed
into a hole on the lower end of the shaft which can
turn and cause oil pressure loss. The best thing to do
with the old shaft is grind all the teeth off the gear
so it can turn free without touching the camshaft gear
and use it to pre-lube the bearings without having to
turn the engine. A flat screwdriver chucked in a drill
to turn the oil pump the same rotation as the
distributer rotation marked on the intake manifold
untill the guage shows pressure
I don't do this on a fresh engine that I KNOW was
assembled with proper engine assembly lube, but if i'm
going to try to stsrt an engine that I don't know how
long since it has been run, I sometimes pre-lube to be
safe. I just hate to hear rods rattle until oil
pressure picks up.
--- Warren R Anderson <wranderson@xxxx>