Re: [Chrysler300] Lefty's Earliest Owners List

Re: [Chrysler300] Lefty's Earliest Owners List

Kelly, I too purchased a letter car used from a Chrysler dealer that had sold it new. It was a loaded 300L vin C453 212542 and was bought from Fidelity Motors in Enid, Oklahoma on January 30, 1973 and I still own it almost thirty years later.
The original owner was a well-healed car nut locally who bought a 300 letter every year, alternating between coupe and convertible every other year. This might also be another matter to open for discussion. How many original owners bought more than one? I no longer own it but in January, 1971 I bought from the original owner a 300E convertible. He also purchased a letter coupe one year and a letter convertible the next but he liked the 300E so well he put it away in a heated, humidity-controlled garage and quit tagging it. He would get it out once a month and display it in a protected place in front of his business but when I heard he was considering selling it I went to see it and he wouldn't open the door that day because it was raining and he didn't want to expose it to the high humidity. When I did get to see it I purchased it and owned it for 15 years and finally sold it bacause I moved and didn't have a good enough place to store it. After the new owner paid me he informed me that he had researched every then known 300E convertible and this was the best unrestored example known. He said the only comparable one was a fully restored [also White] owned by Richard Carpenter.
Yes, he bought a 300F coupe and continued to alternate between coupe and convertible until they quit building Letter cars but since the E was his favorite he kept it until his daughter was about to turn 16 and wanted him to tag it up and let her drive it to high school and he said it was too much car for her.
Since we all know how these 'Brutes' grow on us, it might be interesting to see how many other original purchasers were repeat buyers and/or alternated between coupes and convertible. Two out of the 5 letters I have or still own had the habit; anyone know of more?
'Okie' Bob Merritt, Enid, Oklahoma
Kelly Pierce <jkrestor300@xxxx> wrote: Happy New Year to All-
I cannot say I bought a Letter Car new, I was only 9 years old when they
stopped in 65. HOWEVER- Two notes on that idea of new Letter Cars. The first
New one I saw was when my Great Uncle took his 64 New Yorker in for warranty
work to S.L. Savage Chrysler Plymouth Dodge in downtown Seattle in the
spring of 64. I saw a Silver(Silver Special possibly?) 300K in the shop. It
did not have plates on it and I'll never forget that car. Maybe that's why I
am a K fan. Second thought/observation- How many have bought their Letter
Car from a Chrysler Dealer used,( in the 1980's?)I bought my Roman Red K
hardtop from Rolfe and Wood Chrysler Plymouth Dodge in Bozeman, Montana on
June 18th, 1982-MY 26th birthday(and the best birthday present I ever bought
myself!)
I am sure there are as many stories like this as there are members,
but had to throw in on this discussion. AND- I am sure someone out there has
owned their K longer than I- So let us know! Joe Pierce 300Kx2+M+others.