Re: [Chrysler300] 57 speedometer?

Hi Gang
Dave and Don are correct. I rebuild these gauges. I have yet to find the gray anti vibration ring in tact. Dave is correct that you use a 1/16" bulk o-ring, I have it in stock so going to send enough to Bill Leahy to redo his gauges as his are apart. And yes both speedo and cluster use it.
Don is correct that it will clean up with warm water and detergent or other mild cleaner. It will dissolve a little at a time. I think it was Larry Jet that told me several years ago that he used 409. The gray goo seems to be water soluble. It is slow to dissolve as it becomes very hard. As far as using a razor blade on glass is ok, don't go there with plastic. If your gauge is apart you will see a narrow grove in the front housing that Chrysler inserted a narrow band seal into. It would have been like a rubber band installed on edge in the narrow grove. Likely a closed cell foam that deteriorated with heat. The grove will be full of the seal also and you need to clean it out before you install o-ring. A narrow blade screw driver will do the job. When it is all cleaned out then you can lay the o-ring around the grove. The o-ring is slightly wider than the grove. a little soap and water on it will make it easier to push into the grove about half of the diameter. Wipe off any soap that is there and lay in lens and screw down the lens retainer and you should have isolated the lens from the housing.
The bulk o-ring is available at any industrial rubber and hose supply house. You buy it by the foot and very inexpensive. Like Dave said it is available in several thicknesses. I always have on hand 1/16", 3/32", 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4". Handy dandy material. Yes you can make your own o-rings. Ask the supplier, they will have the adhesive to do that.

Gary, The Parts Doc