Masking advice - reply

Hi Ryan,

With regards to your masking question - I have some experience that might be
of help. In the same way that you did, on each car that I have restored, I
pre-painted the engine compartment, door jambs, inside the trunk and inside
trunk lid, etc... , allowing some paint to extend PAST these areas onto the
outer body. I then proceeded as you plan to do , namely block-sanding,
priming and painting the outer body. In order to keep primer from going
into the engine cpt, door jambs and trunk, I used a procedure called
"back-taping" . It is essentially exactly what the name implies - you roll
some masking tape onto itself (creating something akin to a gasket) and
place it all around the hood, doors, trunk, etc. ; you use different width
masking tape depending on need - 2" tape works just fine for most. You then
shut the hood / trunk / doors over this improvised gasket and proceed with
blocking and priming . When body is ready for paint, you remove the old
"backtape" , clean off everything once again as there will be dust and other
junk from the sanding, etc.. and then proceed to re-backtape everything.

Once the car is painted, you remove the backtape, and some light wet-sanding
will make the overlap disappear entirely.

There is no substitute for taking your time with backtaping and masking.

Hope this helps... no advice as to source for good gaskets. Reusing
originals whenever possible is always a safe bet.

John