maskjing

3M makes a foam tape for this masking

To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Ryan Hill" <ryan_hillc300@xxxx> | This
is Spam | Add to Address Book
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 23:59:23 -0700
Subject: [Chrysler300] Masking advice - anybody got
any tricks?

Group, I know some of you do your own bodywork and
paint as I do so
hopefully someone will have a good solution for my
problem. I have painted
the firewall, door sills, inner fenders, rad support,
inner doors, etc.
prior to reassembly on my '65 300. Now that I have
aligned the doors,
fenders, trunk lid, and hood I'm wanting to continue
blocking out the body
and finishing the final bodywork on the outer body.

My problem is that I need an efficient way of sealing
the doors, hood, and
trunk so the building primer/sealer I'm laying over
the body doesn't ruin my
finished paintwork on the inside of the door jambs and
under the hood. I've
done my share of masking in the past but never has it
needed to be this
good, I'm looking for perfection here......no
overspray! Any suggestions?
I've considered buying foam piping and squeezing it or
taping it at the
seams.......might work well for the hood and trunk but
not sure about the
doors.

I'm also interested in restoring my original window
gaskets, is there a
cleaner that will disolve old sealer and clean the
rubber without damaging
or deteriorating the rubber? Are there any nice
fitting aftermarket gaskets
available for the '65? Recent emails have been warning
of poor reproductions
of the earlier Chrysler gaskets. Has anyone used the
ones Steele Rubber
Products offer......their weatherstripping is very
nice!

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Ryan
Hill

=====