From: Gary Nelson [mailto:Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 10:46 PM
To: Oddvin Skråmestø; Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 300C vapour lock?

Hi Oddvin

Two possibilities that have not been pointed out that could be your fuel
starving problem. 30 years ago I battled the same problem on a car I owned
at that time. It was the in tank fuel filter on the end of the fuel sending
unit/ pickup. This is quit often over looked as it is out of sight out of
mind. These filters are a fine Nylon mesh with age will easily clog and
restrict fuel. Unless you have changed this I suspect this could be your
problem. At least you would want to eliminate this possibility.
The other is the fuel filters at the carburetors. That is an easy test as
you can remove the filter elements temporarily to see if that resolves your
problem. I have stock of both items NOS if you cannot find at your end.

Gary, The Parts Doc

At 11:25 PM 9/13/2002 +0200, Oddvin Skråmestø wrote:
>Hi.
>This summer we have had the hotest summer ever here in Norway, several
>days with temperatures over 82F. Driving my 300C in this temperature, the
>engine stalls when idling, like stopping at traffic lights etc. After a
>minor stop or driving at a slow section on the road, the car hesitates
>when accelerating. It seems like a fuelpump failure, but only when hot. At
>startup cold, and at continuous high speed driving the car acts normal.
>When the car stops, it give me a hard time trying to make it run. I have
>never had this kind of trouble before, and I have also driven the car at
>high temperatures before too. Can a fuelpump start to fail when hot? Or is
>the heat making a vapour lock at the pump. The pump is 12 years old, could
>this be the first sign of wear?.
>I'm planning to install an electric fuelpump to assist the original, and
>to help filling up the carbs after the winter rest.
>What brand and type should I buy? Anyone with experience on this?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Oddvin Skråmestø
>Norway.

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx