Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:25:07 +0200
From: Oddvin Skråmestø <ragtopman@xxxx>
Subject: 300C vapour lock?

Hi.
This summer we have had the hotest summer ever here in Norway, several dayswith temperatures over 82F. Driving my 300C in this temperature, the engine stalls when idling, like stopping at traffic lights etc. After a minor stop or driving at a slow section on the road, the car hesitates when accelerating. It seems like a fuelpump failure, but only when hot. At startup cold, and at continuous high speed driving the car acts normal. When the car stops, it give me a hard time trying to make it run. I have never had this kind of trouble before, and I have also driven the car at high temperatures before too. Can a fuelpump start to fail when hot? Or is the heat making a vapour lock at the pump. The pump is 12 years old, could this be the first sign of wear?.
I'm planning to install an electric fuelpump to assist the original, and tohelp filling up the carbs after the winter rest.
What brand and type should I buy? Anyone with experience on this?

Thanks.

Oddvin Skråmestø
Norway.

[Non-text portions of this